Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Illustration Friday - "Imperfect"

Original for sale on www.seystudios.etsy.com!
My illustration for this week's theme "imperfect". I had absolutely no idea what to draw, and then one of my friends suggested owls. I have never drawn them in my life, but after looking up reference photos (oh my goodness, baby owls are the cutest), I figured out what I wanted to do. The coloring took a bit longer than I thought. So many color studies...

These are only a few of the studies.
Ugh! The one thing I wish I had right now was a larger scanner! I had to take the photos using my web cam since the piece itself was 3 inches to long to scan correctly. However, besides that snafu... I love what I was able to create this week. I did not think I would have time, but it turns out my belly monster wants to be in my belly a bit longer than the expected due date, so I'll take the extra time!

Having fun creating cuteness!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, how much work, poof!
    but these owls are very cute, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am glad I stuck it out! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I scan things that are a bit too long for my scanner (like EVERY single page of my webcomic), I just scan the top half, then I scan the bottom half. Then I stitch them together in Photoshop. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally would do that but my scanner bed is not flat and o if the piece is larger than the scanner area it raises the board and the scan comes out blurry nd with nasty muted color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this illustration - there is much to adore here. Sorry to hear about scanner woes, I've been wrestling with my scanner for a while too.

    ReplyDelete